SkyStudio Pro is a freeware time-lapse capture & motion detection application for Windows®. It allows you to capture high-res time-lapse footage at any size, any speed with any capture device or web cam.
A new version is available, 220.127.116.11
The autorun registry bug has been fixed.
Longer snapshot intervals added (thanks Sam).
Most important change is added support for a second video device.
You can set up two cameras and combine their images side-by-side or top/bottom.
Especially if you have two identical cameras, you can cover a huge portion of your horizon with this feature.
Please report your ideas and thoughts via:
Any feedback is appreciated.
SkyStudioPro now has its own website: http://www.skystudiopro.com
Bookmark that site for SkyStudioPro downloads, updates & manual.
– select video capture device, any Windows device, capture card or webcam will do
– select audio device, not really needed for time lapse video
– video capture dialog to access your driver settings
– audio capture dialog to access your driver settings
– capture size, e.g. 640×480
– capture resize, allows you to take huge frames from your webcam and resize them on the fly for better sharpness.
– frame rate, allows you to take slow shots from webcams, will enhance light quality at night. Lower frame rate means more light
– all settings are stored by video device. Changing the video device will open its codec, time-lapse and motion settings.
– recorded avi will have either the selected captured frame size, OR if resize is checked, the resized frame size.
– storage folder: root dir for saving movies. Subfolders will automatically be created by date.
– Live codec: codec used for live capture.
– Time-lapse codec: seperate codec can be selected for time-lapse movies. Use as high as possible quality here.
Personally I favor FFDShow codec at 95% quality. Relatively small movies, great quality & sharpness.
– config buttons open the codec config dialog.
note: live video uses lot of cpu, make sure your codec is suitable for live recording
– preview display shows how your time lapse will look. Click to pause/resume. Below are two bars: the upper shows current playback, the lower shows current frame being recorded.
– current date/time, frame rate and frame number is added to each frame (top left)
– interval: gap between each frame taken from your capture device. 5 sec means every 5 seconds a snapshot is taken and added to the movie
– Fps: the final avi will run at this frame rate. Recommended: 25fps
– auto-save: saves the movie and starts a new one after x frames. Purpose: if your pc crashes for whatever reason, you’ll still have most of your movie.
– recording: check to record, uncheck to stop recording
– with a 1 sec interval and 25fps, your final movie will be 25x faster than reality, playing 25 seconds of real captured time per second in the final movie.
– with a 5 sec interval and 25fps, your final movie will be 125x faster than reality and so on.
– you can change the fps during recording, but it will only have effect on the next recorded movie.
– at the start of every recording, the frame size and fps of the recorded video is set, and does not change during recording
– check/uncheck to activate/deactivate
– noise filter needs no explanation other than that it uses some cpu
– proportional: sets a baseline for the motion values, and outputs motion as a “relative” value. As opposed to “absolute”.
– slider: if the motion value is above the slider, it triggers a “motion event”.
– Autom.treshold: sets the treshold slider about 10 points above the average motion of the last 25 frames.
– ON MOTION: if the motion value is above the treshold, a motion event is triggered. Two options: start recording live video, or speed up the current time-lapse.
The latter creates a nice “bullet time effect”. Imagine your time lapse showing clouds speeding by… when an object triggers a motion event the time lapse slows down to real speed. When the object is gone, the video speeds up to time-lapse speed again!
Operating System & requirements
– this program is provided “as is” – no warrantee or guarantee. I developed it for my own use, if it works for you too: great.
– this program has been developed and tested under Windows 7 (x64).
– it will probably work fine under XP and Vista, feel free to test and feed back.
– faster PC, better results. Time-laps does not use much CPU, motion detection does, especially at high frame rate.
This software is freeware for non-commercial use. It uses Mitov’s components for Delphi: AudioLab, VideoLab, VisionLab. Many thanks and credits to him for making these components available for non-commercial use. You can find his website at http://www.mitov.com/
The SkyStudioPro software is developed by DjSadhu – https://www.djsadhu.com
SetupSkyStudioPro 18.104.22.168.zip (1.845Mb)
or visit http://www.skystudiopro.com
For questions or suggestions: http://www.skystudiopro.com/contact
14 thoughts on “SkyStudio Pro – freeware time-lapse & motion detection software”
I could KISS YOU for this. Thanks for the software. The chemtrailing in New Zealand is insane!
Works fine, only dislike the text in the time lapse shots… can I disable those?
Not yet, I’ll make the text editable in the next update.
When will the next update be released?
In a couple of weeks, when I have collected, implemented and tested all ideas for the next release. Anything specific in mind?
Nope, everything seems to work fine! I love your application. Only thing I want to change is the text, as mentioned.
How’s the update going? 🙂
Any idea when you gonna release the next version?
Soon. I was waiting for more ideas for the next version, but feedback has not been overwhelming yet 😉
I have uploaded a test version to:
Extract to you current installation directory and run. The watermark settings are in the TimeLapse panel.
Received your e-mail, installed the app… looks great! Stable, without text… currently recording time-lapse, too bad the weather sucks today
Great. The weather sucks here as well (Holland) but I heard we might have “northern lights” here today because of the sun’s activity.
My Logitech Pro9000 captures Saturn and the brightest stars… with a 10 second interval I get to see the stars moving across the night sky.
Guys, check out version 22.214.171.124 – I added support for second video device.
Ty for this program i have downloaded it and done a sample vidoe b4 i go bed lol its 1.30am.
I hope we have a clear day tmr so i can test it in daylight with the plants or sky. My main reason for this dwnload is for a cctv skycam, i have a feeling it will be well worth the wait for a clear night sky. I wil post update on my nxt clear night.
Ty again for the Free download
All the best to you and your family…G
Heads up: version 126.96.36.199 has been posted.
Registry autorun bugfix, and longer snapshot intervals!